Saturday, April 2, 2011

Diaper Rashes


Around a year ago, C had a diaper rash that was so bad, our ped recommended Lotrimin. While I was a bit hesitant about applying a chemical cocktail on my baby’s bum, I figured it was a necessary evil. So a week into the “treatment”, I realize that she is not getting any better. And I’m getting more and more panicked about applying this toxic cream on C’s poor, red butt. So in desperation, I took to the internet and realized that I should have tried an alternative method first. The proposed solution: tea tree oil and olive oil.

Literally, within 2-3 days, her diaper rash had completely healed up, and now that I’m using this homemade concoction instead of the usual wipes/diaper cream combo, C HAS NEVER HAD ANOTHER DIAPER RASH.

Here’s my solution:

  1. Buy two 3 oz. spray bottles.
  2. In one bottle, add water with a little bit of apple cider vinegar.
  3. In the other bottle, add olive oil, and add a bit of tea tree oil (around 20 drops, maybe?). The stuff is strong, and I wouldn’t recommend applying it directly on the baby’s bottom. You need a carrier oil. Hence, the olive oil. (Don’t use mineral oil.)
  4. To clean baby’s bottom, spray the vinegar solution around the diaper region and then pat dry with a towel.
  5. Then spray the oil solution and rub around liberally.
  6. That’s it.

Obviously, for poops, I clean off with wipes, first.

Cheap, easy, and good for the skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment