Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Organic or Conventional?


When it comes to fruits and veggies for C (and for me and the hubby, I guess), I've always tried to go organic as much as possible. But there are times when you just have to roll your eyes at the prices of organic produce -- as I did one day recently when I picked up a pack of two (2!!) bell peppers and laid eyes on the price: $7.60. I put them back, figuring that I didn't necessarily need bell peppers swaddled in fairy dust. But other than price considerations, I never quite had a system for choosing organic over conventional, or vice versa, unless you count hunches as a system. So I'm glad that the Environmental Working Group came up with this handy dandy chart of the cleanest fruits and veggies (the "Clean 15") and the dirtiest (the "Dirty Dozen", so to speak).
After browsing this chart, it occurs to me that I may need to buy bell peppers swaddled in fairy dust after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment