Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pinkeye


I like pink.  And I like eyes.  I just don't like the two things together.  But, given my kids' ages (3 and 1), we are unfortunately prone to picking up the dreaded conjunctivitis at least once or twice every winter season.

This last round had me shooting steam out of my ears.  $102 for 3 mLs of C's eyedrops (see photo above)!  No generic available.  "Your deductible has not been met," by way of explanation.  This, despite the fact that we pay a $1200 monthly insurance premium.  Argh, don't get me started!

Luckily, my friend Rosina saved the day, at least when I woke up the next morning with the telltale pink and oozy eye.  Chamomile tea bags.  Soak in hot water, let cool, and place over eyes for 5-10 minutes.  "Every 90 minutes," she suggested, but I could only manage every 3-4 hours.  But, oh miracles or miracles!  By that same evening, my eyes had cleared up, and I woke up the next morning bright- and white-eyed!

Which got me thinking...kids don't have the patience to sit there with tea bags over their eyes.  What if we were to treat one eye at a time, using a pirate patch to hold the tea bag in place?  Toy sword and hook optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment