Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Diabetes-Dairy Connection?

Found out yesterday that my friend's two-year-old boy was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. My heart broke a little for this adorable little boy and his parents. C's grandmother is a Type 1 diabetic, so I've been able to witness first-hand the diabetic lifestyle -- the constant monitoring, the injections, the reactions, the carb counting, etc. (To her credit, C's grandmother is a phenomenal whirlwind of a woman who hasn't let diabetes slow her down a whit.) So, given my tendency towards hypochondria, I've been somewhat obsessed with diabetes -- or, more specifically, the possibility that C or L could get it, even though the genetic risk seems to be passed on by parents and not by grandparents (at least that's what my google search tells me)? To whit:
And then there's the theory that cow milk may be one of the causes of Type 1 diabetes, which is yet another reason why I've never bought a carton of cow milk for C. If you're interested in an explanation of exactly how it is that dairy can potentially lead to diabetes, here's a link to an eye-opening video:
I'm not a doctor, nor am I any sort of biologist -- and I have no idea how my pediatrician would react to this -- but his description sounds convincing to me. Food for thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment