Wednesday, May 4, 2011

To Slather or Not to Slather


As an admittedly paranoid mama, it's been a relief this horrifically long winter (NY mamas, you know what I mean) not to have to worry about slathering toxic sunscreens on C. In fact, quite the opposite: I've been fretting about C not getting
enough sun. But now that the leaves are starting to bud, we've been fine wearing hats and long sleeves/pants for prolonged outdoor play. Fine for now, but as the weather gets warmer and warmer, there will come a day, I'm sure, when C will be whining to run around in nothing but her diapers.

So, for prolonged outdoor play in the sun, what to do? There are serious, hormone-disrupting toxins in most of the chemical sunscreens we've been slathering on our kids, and the efficacy of most of these sunscreens are questionable at best. I've included a couple of links that I think are must-reads for anyone on the hunt for a good sunscreen. And hopefully the EWG (Environmental Working Group) site will be an eye-opening journey for anyone confused about the pros and cons of sunscreen.
So, if chemical sunscreens are a no-no, what about physical sunblocks? Well, then, you have to start worrying about the whole nanoparticle controversy. It's enough to drive a mama mad. But after doing all my research, I decided that I felt comfortable enough with Badger, which I ordered on Diapers.com, to start using it on C. It was also one of the EWG-recommended sunscreens.
And I appreciate all the information Badger posted on its website about the whole nanoparticle controversy (even if they concluded that nanoparticles weren't dangerous) and about its sunscreen (which doesn't contain nanoparticles):
(But note to mamas out there running out to grab some Badger, MUST KNEAD THE TUBE!!! The natural oils separate, so lots of nicely scented oils squirted all over me when I first squeezed the tube.)

Finally, here is the EWG's list of sunscreens in its Hall of Shame. And to think: some mother has been duped into letting her little one roast for hours under the sun, under the mistaken impression that, with an SPF 100 sunscreen, he was protected. So infuriating:
Hopefully this post helped more than it confused? In the meantime, look for us this summer at a playground near you. I'll be the one with the hat large enough to cover Texas, and my kid will be the naked one, wearing a hat and reeking of lavender oil.

1 comment:

  1. As if on cue, my friend LIsa Q posted this on her Facebook page. http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/natural-sunscreens-460608

    Also, forgot to mention that I'm also quite fond of California Baby. Non-greasy, fast-absorbing physical sunblock, but I've heard that they use nanoparticles in their sunscreen, so, until I'm comfortable with nanoparticles or until I hear otherwise about CB, I'm sticking with Badger, despite the oil spill!

    ReplyDelete